We are all about a Dr.Martens boot, and this iconic British shoe brand is loved by all. Originating in Munich, and then being bought by British investors, Dr Martens began their fame in the 1960s. The footwear is distinguished by its air-cushioned sole (dubbed Bouncing Soles), upper shape, welted construction and yellow stitching. Dr.Martens not only produce their famous boots, but have launched into other ranges of products (their handbags are also one of our favourites). We are often asked how to style, take care and distinguish the originals from the fakes, so let’s get started!
How To Spot Fake Dr. Martens
Knowing how to spot the originals can be far easier than you think. Your first indicator is the heel of the shoe, where the AirWair loop is stitched into the back of the shoe. It is important to also view the bouncing soles and inner stitched sole for further verification. Want to avoid this task? Shop Dr.Martens directly from our website or in our stores, and we assure you we sell the originals.
How Long Do Dr. Martens Last?
We do know that Dr.Martens are a worthy shoe investment, they are technically built to stand the test of time, and known to get better each year of wearing. Docs do take time to wear in, and once you’ve broken the rigid leather for everyday comfort, your boots should last many years (we have heard some of our customers owning their boots for over 10 years!. Looking to keep your boots in shape for years to come? Always make sure you clean and take care of the leather. Avoid leaving your boots in harsh sunlight, as we all know direct heat can be damaging to any product.
What Size Dr. Martens Should I Buy (are they true to size?)
Dr. Martens are a chunky style of shoe and can differ in size, depending on the design, so sizing would depend on the style. The Dr. Marten boots have proven to be true to size, however we always suggest trying any shoe on in store as all shoe cuts vary on the shape and size of your foot.Dr Martens uses three primary ‘last shapes’ on their main boot styles. These are called the “59 last”, the “84 last” and the “Comfort last”.
Fitting Tip: if you are between sizes we recommend you order a size below, particularly for the “Comfort last” which provides a generous fit.
Are Dr. Martens Waterproof?
Dependant on the cut, shape, and material, water resistance varies and although Dr. Martens are sturdy shoes, they are however not water resistant. That being said, Dr.Martens do sell a fully waterproof boot, where you can be assured no water damage will be done.There are a few things you can do to protect your boots from water damage such as using the shoe protector to avoid unwanted wet patches. We’d also recommend investing in a protective spray like Liquiproof for your fabric Dr.Martens as this will alleviate any water damage. Although these boots are known to withstand the muddy trenches of Glastonbury keeping up with your boot care should also avoid any harsh water damage.
How Long Do Dr. Martens Take to Break In?
When you purchase your new Docs you will find that there is a considerable “wear in” period, some people find this can take between 3 to 6 weeks depending on materials used & leather thickness. During this time it’s best to only wear your boots for short outings until they become comfy & moulded to the shape of your foot. Once this happens you’ll find Dr. Martens make for great walking and working boots!The structured boot is made from rigid leather, and whilst you might wish to use a softening agent, we think wearing in your boots creates a more ‘sentimental’ touch.
You can make the breaking in process easier by following these few top tips:
1. Wear thick cotton socks (or winter socks) during the initial wearing in period.
2. Use a softening agent that isn’t too strong such as Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam
3. Use a boot stretcher for the toe area over the course of a few nights
4. Gently bend your boots to ease areas of stiffness such as the instep
5. Use moleskin, corn plasters or bunion pads where the boot fits too narrowly
How To Clean & Polish Dr. Martens
If you’re looking to keep your boots in top shape, taking care of these shoes are essential. Getting your hands on Dr.Martens Wonder Balsam or equivalent leather conditioner or coloured polish that matches your boots will be great for keeping their shine and longevity. Follow these simple steps to easily clean and polish your Dr. Martens:
1. Begin your cleaning with unlacing your boots
2. Clean any dirt or grit using warm water, a cloth or a toothbrush
3. Make sure your boots are dry before you start polishing
Do remember that Dr.Marten boots come in a variety of materials, and some polishes may not work on the fabric covered boots. Using a shoe a protector spray will help protect softer fabrics.
How to lace up Dr. Martens
Lacing your boots correctly is an important task. Your shoe lace should roughly be 140cm, this length of lace will fit 8-eye to 10-eye boots and all boots you buy come with the correct amount of lacing.You can straight lace your Dr. Martens which is popular for 3 Eye Docs, 8 Eye Docs and 10 Eye Docs by following the below steps:
1. Grab your set of laces (roughly 140cm long)
2. Start your lacing by running the laces straight across the bottom eyelets
3. Insert your laces through the next eyelet vertically
4. Cross the laces over the tongue of the shoe
5. Continue straight up and thread your lace through the next eyelet vertically
Can You Wear Dr. Martens in the Summer?
Yes! One of our favourite qualities of the Dr. Martens is that they can be worn both in Summer and Winter. We love fashion spotting Dr Martens paired with denim shorts or flowing dresses at Summer Festivals and in Winter, you cannot beat skinny jeans, a chunky jumper and your Docs.
What to Wear With Dr. Martens
There are many ways you can wear your Dr. Marten boots and shoes and we’ve come up with a short cheat-sheet of style guidelines to give you inspiration:
1. Dr. Martens toughen a feminine look, so pairing your boots or shoes with floral fabrics and flowing shapes look great for achieving the modern bohemian cool.
2. Dr. Martens look great in winter with tights, skirts and thick cable knit jumper
3. Go for a rock n’ roll look by pairing with leather trousers and a cute cotton vest
4. Explore the new materials DR.Martens are using, we love the velvet and suede textures out now
5. Keep it classic with skinny jeans and a white t-shirt; a look guaranteed to be on trend no matter the fashion time
Overall, Dr. Martens are worth the investment. Not only are they loved by all, their durability and on point style will stand the test of time. Dr. Martens stand for heritage, style and authenticity – so… what you waiting for? Shop the great range of genuine Dr. Marten Boots & Shoes available at OFFICE today!